Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, March 7, 2008

Caleb's Birth Story

The first time I met you
Visiting you in the NICU
Getting ready to bring you home
On our way home!
John Caleb Bennett was born on Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 10:49am.
6 lbs. 3 oz., 20 inches long

Dear Caleb,

The day you were born was the best day of my life. It was Saturday, March 1, 2008. It was 6:15am and I was still in bed. All of a sudden I felt my water break. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. Water was pouring out of me so I stepped into the shower and yelled out to your daddy to come quick. He came in and said, "Well, it looks like today's the day! What do we do?". We laughed and got ready to leave for the hospital.

When we arrived in the labor & delivery ward we were greeted by the nurses that had taken care of us over the last several months. They were all very excited that you were making your entry into the world. They had been waiting to meet you for a long time! We were admitted and placed in labor room #1. It was the same room I was in when we thought you were going to arrive in December at 26 weeks gestation.

The midwife came in to check on us and said that I was already 5cm dilated. I wasn't feeling any painful contractions at first but it didn't take much time for them to start getting really strong. After a couple of hours I was checked again and the doctor ordered an epidural for me to get some pain relief. However, you had other plans and couldn't wait for the anesthesiologist. Within minutes, I was fully dilated and ready to push. The nurse grabbed my right leg and your daddy grabbed my left and they coached me to PUSH!! I pushed and pushed and all of a sudden your heart rate started to drop. The nurses had me roll over on my side but that didn't help. They had me get on my hands and knees but that didn't help either. Your heart rate had been down to 60 beats per minute for 5 minutes. I was so scared. I was screaming out for them to help you. The doctor came in and said they could try using forceps or a vaccuum to get you out but they might have to do an emergency c-section. Your daddy yelled out, "Just do whatever you have to do to make sure the baby is ok!". The doctor decided on the crash c-section and the room turned to chaos. Your daddy was pushed into the corner and even hit his head on the delivery lights hanging from the ceiling. Within 1 1/2 minutes, I was unhooked from the monitors, my bed was wheeled into the operating room and I was under general anesthesia. Your head was stuck in my birth canal so you had to be pushed out of it and then pulled through the incision. It took 8 minutes from the time the doctor ordered the crash c-section to the time when you made your entry into the world. It was the best day of my life.

It took me a couple of hours to wake up from the anesthesia. The first thing I said was, "Is the baby ok?" and your daddy told me that you were perfect. He told me that you weighed 6 lbs. 3 oz. and were 20" long. He said that you were beautiful. I was in a lot of pain but the nurses knew that I needed to see you so they wheeled my bed from the recovery room to the NICU so I could see you. Your daddy was right, you were absolutely beautiful. I was in love with you from that very first moment and I couldn't wait to be your mommy.

I didn't get to see you again until the next day. It was so hard being away from you, knowing that you were just down the hall in NICU but I couldn't get up to see you. Your daddy visited you a lot that first night and he kept giving me updates on how you were doing. When I finally got to see you again I held you in my arms and cried and cried. I couldn't believe that you were mine, that God had blessed me with such a gift. I love you so much.

You spent 4 days in NICU and on March 5th, we got to take you home. I love being your mommy. I promise that I will be the best mommy I can be and that I will give you the best life I possibly can. I love you, Caleb. Thank you for making my life complete.

Love,
Mommy

7 comments:

Brixie said...

Tears are pooring down my face Kim. You're a wonderful Mommy and I can't wait to give you a hug!

Love,
Brix

Stacie said...

So sweet Kim. Made me cry, too! Your little Caleb is one lucky little guy.

Shan said...

that was beautiful kim. i can barely see what i'm typing because of the happy tears i have for you guys. you guys really are wonderful parents and a beautiful new little family. after such a difficult last few years, i am so thankful for such a happy ending (and beginning) for you three. i can't wait to get to hold my new little nephew again. see ya soon. ~s

N7 said...

i can't deal- i cannot dealw th how beautiful your birth story is/was!!! Caleb is blessed more than he will ever know to have a mommy like you.
beautiful story :)

Kristin said...

Tears again! What a beautiful tribute to your son! Something to be cherished his whole life through! You are such an amazing woman, Kim! So deserving of the abundant blessings God has poured out on you and John through Caleb's birth! To see your positive attitude and joy despite the trials is a true testimnony of your faith! You are both amazing parents already! Thank you for sharing this letter with all of us!

kellieacosta said...

like all the other comments, i too got teary! congratulations. we are so happy and excited for you guys!
love, jesse and kellie

Jill Bennett said...

Hi,

Congrats on the birth of ur beautiful son! My mum has been following ur blog since she googled 'baby Bennett' which i to refered to my unborn baby as.

I gave birth to my 'baby bennett' in Jan! My birth story reads similar to ur own, after a long hard labor i had a section and now have the most beautiful baby girl :)

Naomi Hazel Bennett born - 30 Jan 08, 8lb 4oz - in her hometown of Portadown N. Ireland.

She has changed my life, ive never felt so much love!
God is good!

I wish u all the joy and happiness in the world,

Jill...

ps, if ur interested my husband has a few pics online of Naomi

web.mac.com/rodgerbennett