Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, December 28, 2007

What a rollercoaster!

so.... we spent 10 days in the hospital after the dr saw that my cervix had shortened even more than before. they put me on 20mg of procardia (a smooth muscle relaxer) every 6 hrs to prevent my uterus from contracting and gave me steroids to help the baby's lungs develop in case they couldn't stop labor. luckily, they stopped labor and seemed to have things under control. they moved me from labor & delivery to the post partum area and that was "home" for the next several days. they finally dicharged me on sunday, 12/23. we got to spend christmas eve in OUR OWN BED!! it's so much better than a hospital bed or the recliner/"bed" that john had to sleep on. christmas morning was nice. our families came over to celebrate with us and i was very careful not to get up except to use the restroom. but... it didn't last long. around 3:30 on christmas day i noticed a tiny spot of blood when i used the restroom. so off to the hospital we went. we were hoping that it would be a quick trip and that they would send me back home but in the back of my mind i knew that wasn't going to happen. they hooked me up to the monitor and it showed that i was having pretty big contractions. i wasn't even feeling them!! then they checked my cervix and said that i was dialated 2cm!! WHAT!?!? they put me on magnesium and loaded me into an ambulance to go to kaiser in baldwin park (fontana was too full to take me -- kaiser riverside doesn't have the licensing to take care of a baby less than 32 wks gestation so that's why they had to transfer me). i was really scared. john followed me in the ambulance and met me in baldwin park. there we were, back in labor & delivery. i had an IV with magnesium (pretty nasty stuff), antibiotics and a catheter (didn't like that AT ALL!). after the contractions stopped they moved me to their post partum area and we stayed there for the next couple of days. we thought that since i was dialated they would keep me for a while but they sent me home yesterday. neither of us were happy with that decision since the last time we were sent home i ended up being dialted to 2cm after only 2 days. but, we had no choice so back home we went. then the drama continued this morning when i started spotting again. this time we went straight to fontana to avoid the whole ambulance ride thing. they hooked me back up to the monitor and the contractions were pretty small. after taking another dose of procardia the contractions went away. whew! they checked my cervix and it hadn't changed so they ended up sending me home again. i'm really hoping this weekend is uneventful! i'm using john's laptop right now and i'll try to keep my updates more frequent. but i'm really hoping that i don't have anything new to report for a while. my next dr appt is on wed, jan 2nd. i'm finally at 28 weeks and the next milestone that they want me to get to is 32 weeks. i'll be 32 weeks on jan 22nd and i'm going to try my best to get to that point. :) wish me luck!

2 comments:

N7 said...

hey! I had found your blog a few weeks ago and lost the link-now you found me and I found you again and I am so happy! Our stories are so similar its freaky- As scary as it all is, it is still so nice to have someone else who's in the same or similar boat as you- we are both 28 weeks along which is a huge milestone! Congratulations on making it this far and MANY MANY more weeks to come! Dont you hate how they keep piling milestones on you? First you get all excited to get to 25, then 28, then now 30? We should be able to stop, relax and party at some point :) But whatever it takes for our babies! I'm sorry you had such a sort of up and down christmas- nothing beats sleeping in your own bed but the having to go back and forth stuff is unnerving. Thankfully all is stable with you and hopefully you can sit tight as long as possible. Hope you can update often, good luck & Hang in there!!!! :)

Dave Leydig said...

Kim, Kim, Kim!....Wow! It sounds like your pregnancy has been a real roller coaster of emotions. I mentioned the fact that you are pregnant to Lauren a while back and she didn't know. She then sent me the link to your blog last week and I thought I'd take the opportunity to get in touch, especially since I'm not sure if you're looking at you Cardinal e-mail address.....? I " about my brother but he's doing really well.....finished his 6th and final round of chemo a couple of weeks ago and will begin radiation treatments in January.

Christmas was nice, if a bit quieter than usual, due to the absence of my two youngest nieces.
Ashley (who I think I told you was married in the spring) and her husband Ryan were with his family and they arrived here a few days ago. We had the usual X-mas day festivities at my place and her Dad's and will continue tomorrow with the "extended" X-mas. My niece Erika ("Squirrel Dude's" daughter)
is teaching in Thailand....left in early August after making a rather spur of the moment decision to radically change her life. The commitment is for at least one year, with an option for a second.
She lives on the outskirts of Bangkok and is teaching English to kids ranging in age from elementary to high school. She has an adventurous spirit and this is an exciting time for her.

Well, I guess that's about it for now. I'd love to hear from you if you get a chance....will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

By the way, I can't believe I haven't thought to mention this before but are you familiar with the Peter Himmelman song, "Dixie, the tiny dog"? I think that's the title. I can't leave this sight without losing the message so I'll e-mail again if I'm wrong. Anyway, it's a cult classic that they play on KFOG (the best radio station on Earth!) all the time. It's about
a "wiener dog' named Dixie and her various "adventures" around the house. I have it on a KFOG sampler CD but am not sure if it's available on CD. I'd be surprised if it's not out there on the internet somewhere and if you aren't already familiar with it, think of this as being my little Christmas present to you. It is truly a classic!

OK, I've rambled on long enough! Take care of yourself and drop a line if you have a chance.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!, Dave