Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

6 month doctor's visit

caleb had his 6 month checkup and shots today. he is doing well physically and developmentally and the doctor was very pleased with him. he now weighs 18 lbs., 12 oz. and is 27" long. he is between the 50th-75th percentile for height and weight but he's in the 75th-90th percentile for head circumference. he's got a big noggin like his daddy. he must have a big brain. :)

the best news we got today was that he no longer needs his acid reflux meds!! he has outgrown his reflux issues like we all were hoping he would. YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!! for a baby that wasn't digesting his food when he was born (his food would just sit in his stomach and not digest so the NICU people would have to empty the contents of his stomach through the tube in his nose so it wouldn't spoil in his tummy), he sure has come a long way. he no longer needs his meds!!!! and he poops like 3 times a day!!! how's that for digesting, huh? :)

the not so great news (but still no big deal) that we got today is that caleb has a little case of ecsema. the day we landed in hawaii his little cheeks were so pink and dry. i put some moisturizer on them for the rest of the trip and it did get better but i was a little concerned. the doctor confirmed that it's ecsema and that i just need to keep the area moisturized so it doesn't get dry. you can kind of see his pink cheeks in the picture below. doesn't he look like he's prepared for anything in this picture? this was right before we went to the luau. why didn't i put him in an aloha shirt? it would've been a cuter picture but oh well.
you can see in the next picture that his cheeks were less pink a few days later. caleb and my cousin's baby, madison (who is 2 weeks younger), were really cute together. he is such a white boy next to all of his hawaiian family. hehe. you can't see his tooth here but trust me, it's there and it's sharp. it's come up a little more now but i still haven't been able to get a good picture of it.
so anyway, he did really well with his shots today. i didn't know how caleb was going to be afterwards so i asked my dad to come with me since john had to work. he only cried for a few seconds and i nursed him as soon as it was over and he was all better. he was a little fussy later in the day but not bad at all. i am so blessed to be his mommy. no matter what is happening around me, he makes every day a happy one.

5 comments:

ME Gregory said...

Happy 6 months doc visit - good job on the shots! Lila is already 26 3/4" tall at 4 months - now she really seems like a giant! Caleb is so cute!!

Brixie said...

You just keep getting bigger and bester Caleb! I'm so glad that your meds free and I bet you're glad too. Now you just have to deal with that sensitive skin ;) We have the same problem here with Daddy, but it's very manageable. The California Baby line has been great for Brixie Lee, but her skin may not be as sensitive as Caleb's.

Unknown said...

Hello,

My name is Nancy Macdonald. I'm a reporter with Maclean's magazine. We're a Canadian current events weekly, similar to Time or Newsweek.

I'm writing a story about acid reflux in babies. The incidence is on the rise, and we're looking at how to catch it, and how to treat it. I came across your blog while doing research for the story. It sounds like your son is doing really well. I wonder whether you might be interested in speaking with me about your experience?

I can be reached via email at nancy.macdonald@macleans.rogers.com or by phone at 604.681.2007.


Best regards,
Nancy


---


Nancy Macdonald
Maclean’s Vancouver
1400-1500 West Georgia St.
Vancouver, B.C.
V6G 2Z6
Tel. 604.681.2007 / Cel. 778.239.9495

Shan said...

i love that pic of him with all his "gear" in the stroller, he does look like he's ready for anything! :) it's so funny how that little umbrella stroller has been to hawaii 3 times with all 3 babies (i think micah even used it last time we went)...a free stroller goes a long way!

Kelly said...

Happy 6 months big boy! Yay for reflux issues being resolved!

I had a really bad case of eczema on my hand a couple years ago. It was so dry and cracked, there were times when I could not straighten my fingers. I found that I had to keep my hand out of the water as much as possible. I also used the Cetaphil cream (not the lotion, the cream is much thicker) and I applied it all day long. It took a couple months for it to heal, but it did go completely away. :)