Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Uterine Irritability

yesterday wasn't a fun day. i started having menstral-like cramps early in the day and they kept occuring every few minutes or so. sometimes it would only be a minute before one stopped and another one started. i researched online to see what it might be and concluded that it was round ligament pain or braxton hicks. i emailed my nurse to see what she thought but didn't hear back from her and toward the end of the day i started to worry. i called the labor & delivery ward and the nurse told me to come in for observation. they hooked me up to a monitor and gave me fluids to keep me hydrated.

it turns out that i have uterine irritability. google defines it as "weak but frequent pre-term labor contractions". my pregnancy book says that it's possible that premature labor could be prevented by full or partial bed rest and/or the use of medication. my doctor checked my cervix and said that it is still closed and the right size but asked me to stay home for the next 1 or 2 days and drink lots of water. TONS of water. she said that i need to monitor the contractions (how frequent, how long, etc.) and lay on my left side. if i notice that they are getting more consistant or getting stronger, or if i start bleeding or leaking fluids, i need to go back to the hospital.

so it's a little scary... but baby's heartbeat sounds good and he's moving around a lot so that gives me a lot of comfort. john has been a Godsend. he takes such good care of me. he's going to be such a good dad. he's such a great husband. we see dr. connelly (my OB) on thursday and she'll check to see if my cervix has changed. hopefully a little rest and lots of fulids will quiet this irritability and get things going smoothly.

5 comments:

Shan said...

kimmy, we're praying that that little boy stays put for a few more months...take it easy & relax.
love you guys

Shan said...

kimmy, we're praying that that little boy stays put for a few more months...take it easy & relax
love you guys.

Shan said...

oops, i have NO idea why that happened. sorry ~S

Tiffany said...

Kim,
I am currently experiencing the same thing as you. I'm 35 weeks pregnant with painful contractions all day long. I'm off work/bedrest but I have a 2 year old so... I'm still busy!! They said my cervix is short, 50% effaced, 1 cm dilated. I've had 2 steroid shots for his lungs and am so nervous. How do you know if it's the real thing when you constantly feel pain??? Just wanted you to know that I feel your anxiety and wish you the very very best for your son and you. Also, congrats on your successful IUI!!! Please know that by 36 weeks your baby would be fine to be born. My daughter was born at 37- 7 lbs 20 inches!!!!
best of luck,
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Same, i'm 33.5 weeks preggo and have been having IU ever since 2nd trimester. It's annoying, and bit scary. Just hope i'll make it to 37 weeks, or 36 weeks at the VERY least..!!